Sunday, November 9, 2008

What the Obama Victory means to me.....

Now most of you who know me know that I am not a huge Obama fan from the beginning of the campaign I supported Hillary and I still think she would have done a good job. Dont get me wrong I dont hate Obama or anything like that I was definitely hoping he would beat McCain I just prefered Hillary to him. I think part of my original dislike for Obama came from what the republicans tried to exploit as the messiah complex. It did seem like the media and people alot of people actually believed Obama to be a politician like no other a MLK figure of sorts. He got more people than ever before to attend his rallies, people who never cared about politics before became interested because of him and people went as far as crying during his speeches. Its as if they were hearing a completely different person than I was. When I hear Obama speak im impressed by his abilities but they are far from bringing me to tears, hes a good public speaker but its not like I havent heard his type of rhetoric from other politicians before. Despiter this I have to admit during his acceptance speech I too drank the cool-aid lol, its that speech and that moment which allowed me to see him in a different way, I dont think hes the messiah as some people believe but I now understand the historic implications of his presidency. So what does his victory mean to me? Ironically it means the same thing to me as it does to many people though perhaps for different reasons. Im not black and I dont care that he is, that doesnt matter to me while I like anyone else can be taken a back by a historic moment ,the next day I awake to reality. Whats important to me about Obama's victory is that hes a democrat and that he believes in democratic values. What matters to me is that for the 1st time in eight years we will have a democrat in the white house ,we will no longer be under the tyranny of the republican party, what matters to me is that things can finally be different, and not just different a better different at that. So what does the Obama Victory mean to me? it gives me hope for tommorow...

1 comment:

Irena Wang said...

Good call. Most def gives me something to look forward to waking up everyday. Cheers! =]

-Reeny!